Friday, February 27, 2009

Worst week, best lessons.

This week, most of you know, we lost a very important figure of our family, the community. Pete Wright tragically passed away last Sunday. At that very moment that I stood at the dirtpit, standing over him, I realized two things. Pete Wright lived for Pete Wright and no one else, but Pete Wright also lived for everyone else. He did so much for other people because that is WHAT he wanted to do. He worked from sun up to sun down, 7 days a week with the occasional taking a break to take Pat to Ranchero's. He died working. It wasn't work to Pete though, it was life. Pete was also there passing out Halloween candy, pulling a Christmas parade float, rough housing with great grand kids, helping out a neighbor, city council, school board president. He was the hardest working person I will ever know, but he always had time. He had time and no complaints. You could look into his eyes and see that he was happy. You can actually see happiness. He was also a gentle soul. He would say "hello granddaughter" to me when I poked him in the belly. He was the first person to call me granddaughter, and I loved hearing it. He was grandpa. The turn out and outpouring of our friends was breath taking. I have seen 4 of the hardest men you have ever see become humble as they looked back at what they had with him. I am slowly taking down my other blogs because that is not how I want to be remembered...ranting and raving about some trivial subject. I want to be remembered just like Pete and even Pat. We did think Pete was too big to die, we thought he would live for ever. I think I will change the word admirable to "Pete" because when you are a person like Pete, your name can become a verb. Lets use it in a sentence, "I really Pete that guy because he is a hard working fella"....I like it. Don't you? You can use the word Pete for other verbs if you would like. There was an estimate of 1,000 people that came through the visitation and those of you that were there, you know that is not an exagerration. People waited over an hour to get in and Pat was a rock. She stood there and recieved every last one of you. They don't make ladies like that anymore. We asked if she needed a chair and she kept turning it down. I am sure I will be adding more to this blog, because I have a lot to say that that ole' man taugh me. Even though he is gone, I won't stop learning. He had told Pat just a couple of weeks ago when she was complaining that he didnt go to church with her because he was out working at something....that "I bet I pray more than you!" lol. Pete "got right" with the Lord in a foxhole in Korea, and prayed driving that dump truck down the highway. Prayed while loading dirt or smoothing a drive. I like to him of him praying right before that trachoe turned over.

Now, I have a letter to write my husband to tell him how there is atleast 2 people in this world that thinks he is the man that Pete was.

No comments: