Tuesday, December 2, 2008

12-04-07 This day is over

You might be thinking why I called this blog this day is over, because it in fact has just begun. I am not talking about the present day, or yesterday but the fact that there are certain things that people just do not do anymore. Things that our grandparents would be turning in their graves over. Over the past, oh lets say year, I have been to about 6-8 weddings, wedding showers, baby showers and yes, even funerals. Out of all of these, I have received about 2 thank you cards. Anyone that knows me knows that I take great pride and careful planning in my gifts, especially if we are very close. Many of them handmade, imperfections and all, but made with love. I sit nervously while you open my gifts in hopes that they are perfect for the recipient. I have even been known to send a little package of cards with my gift just to do two things.....1. Hoping the new mother or bride does not have to make so many trips to pick them up, and 2. To send a hint that this should be done. I am not expecting a thank you card and do not keep count, but let me tell you why this should be done. Any woman that has been or ever been or is going to a shower, look around at the elderly women that attend. They are the ones that expect it. They are the ones that know that there are certain things that should be done in this world. They are the ones that still cook from scratch and hand writes every letter that is sent from their homes, no matter how shaky their handwriting is. I don't know exactly who has or who hasn't send me a card, but when I don't get one, I know these ladies didn't either. Good luck getting them attends your next venture celebration. They do keep count and they do take note. ..:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
After my wedding, I sat and hand wrote over 300 thank you cards, and I couldn't do it all myself. I have seen brides take initiative and have their guest write their own return envelope; this is a great way to ensure that you don't have to bear all of the responsibility and time consuming efforts. But, sometimes that is called for. I even recruited Clint, my dear sweet husband, to carefully write out a few themselves. People love to see that Clint sat down, no matter how much he dreaded it and write those notes. Even with his sloppy "man-writing". He understood, that I didn't want to be there writing those any more than he did and he did a great job. I got a card yesterday in the mail from someone that got married in July. This is perfectly acceptable too. The first few months of marriage are a whirl wind and I was surprised to see it come. The longer you go, the less likely you are to send them out. I have even gotten a thank you card from the help/flowers for yes.....a funeral! If grieving people can send out thank you cards, how come happy people can't?
When you don't send out thank you cards, this shows that maybe you don't expect me to send you one either.....this makes me wonder how much love is involved when you sent me gifts, because you don't expect one from me. Maybe you don't see the love in the blankets that these elderly women give you. Maybe you don't know what it takes to make something so detailed. Maybe you just don't care. Just anyone that reads this, please reconsider that there are certain traditions that should be cherished.

No comments: