Tuesday, December 2, 2008

9-26 I want to see her...because I never met her

First, let me say this. I am and my mother is of sound mind. I know you won't believe me, but I swear it is true. There are a couple of declarations that I need to throw out here, but they will make sense later in this post. 1. My parents do not smoke. 2. My mother doesn't drink at all, and my father just has one or two. 3. My mother doesn't allow anyone to smoke in their house. 4. This house that they live in was previously owned by a non-smoker as well. 5. This started about 5 years ago when they moved in. ..:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Now. Lets get started. It will take some explaining but you will get it in the end, and I will try to make this as painless as possible. My mother's parents are both dead. My grandmother who was from ..:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />England died a few months before my birth, and my grandfather died a month before my wedding. So, he has been gone for more than 5 years and all of his siblings are deceased as well for over 20 years.
Not long after my parents moved into their current house, we started having Thanksgiving regularly there, my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. This wasn't a family that spent a lot of time together over the years, and after my grandfathers passing we decided that they are very important. Mom's second bedroom is where either my sister spends the night or my Aunt stays. It is far down a long dark hallway from the rest of the house. Jagger stays in that room and I have to tell you, if I had to stay in it, I would sleep in the living room. SCARY! Mom goes and stays in there when dad snores too loudly.
Mom has been awakened by the feeling that someone is sitting on the bed, when my dad was still working nights. I asked her if this scared her and she said no. She has been woken up with the hallway lights on while her dog was growling in bed, while she was home alone. I just couldn't get it.
Anyway, my mom, my sister, and my aunt have all at different times woke up because of the smell of cigarette smoke. Last Thanksgiving they were talking about it when my mom said that is the only place in the house she smelled it except once in the kitchen. I told mom that someone must have smoked in that house and it was just coming through the vents when the heater kicked on....and she looked at ME like I was crazy. Oh well. That day there was a crock-pot that my cousin Kathy had left. We were going to be seeing her in the next couple of weeks to do some Christmas shopping so mom washed it and put the lid on it and set it on the counter out of the way. I saw it with my own eyes. When my mom told me to get it out of the back seat, I saw it. Inside the pot with the lid ON was some cigarette ashes. Crazy!!!
This is where it all comes together. Last night mom was telling me about how the night before; dad had fallen asleep on the couch. When he came to bed about 3:30, she was awake (very light sleeper) and she told him "You don't have to be quiet, I am awake". So dad drifted back asleep and started snoring like always. Mom had enough and was headed down to the extra room. The hallway was lit enough to see. Down this hallway are picture frames that hold my grandfathers pictures and pilots' patches and my grandmothers British Women's Air Force pictures. A memorial. So, she was walking down the hallway, and there stood her mother. She said "Mother?" and my grandmother just smiled. Mom turned around and there stood my grandfather's sister, Lorena. Mom said "Aunt Lorena?" and then she turned back to her mom and said "You both are dead, does that mean I am dead too?" At that second, they disappeared. Mom thought she had died in her sleep, which scares me to death. As I talked to her, I asked her if she was scared or how she feels about it now. She said that she wasn't and isn't scared. I believe in ghosts....but, I want them to visit me. That sounds scary, but I want to see the women I never knew. We never really experienced anything like this. Oh and why do we care if we smell smoke and find ashes? Because my grandmother smoked heavily. That whole side of the family did. That is what they did in the 40's because there wasn't much else to do.

No comments: